Saturday, January 30, 2010

Just Darn Cold

Did I ever say that I like the cold; I must have been saying that from inside a warm tavern. I think I must just like it not hot.

It's just so very cold out there today. It brings me back to my days as a kid growing up in Boston and standing on the corner waiting for the bus in the icy snow and slush of January.

"Whew!" I can hear my Dad shout out with the surprise of a man who gets hit with a spray of cold water in an otherwise warm bath. He used to say this when he would hustle out the front door to the car of his old Thunderbird, "Whew is it cold!"

I hear Dad when I say this myself as I hustle through the streets of Hoboken to get to the subway station. It's a bit of a longer walk, but at least I don't have to drive.

Today I was smart enough to break out my warmest cloths and undergarments and accessories and down coat. Even so, just the cold hitting my nose felt like someone pinching me hard with a pair of pliers.

I looked at the forecast just now and see it's going to stay this way for a bit too. I really get Spring fever when we're stuck like this. I think of those budding trees in April and the sudden purple glow of the dogwoods and crabapple trees. I think of taking a deep breath of air in those months and not feeling it burn my lungs like fire.

About the only good thing I can say about this time of year is that the mosquitos are not anywhere in sight. Which is just as well. If deep Winter bred mosquitos, I think it would quite likely tempt the devil out of hell.

Good night.

No comments: